Sunday, October 22, 2006

First Entree


For our first entree (pronounced with a French accent) we have here a "recycled" macaroni dish (Tattooed On My Mind - Maskipaps!) which I cooked yesterday for dinner. Recycled in a way that the main ingredient (which is the sauce) came from a leftover soup my friend gave me yesterday. Since I was already planning to make pasta for dinner and was really very hungry that time, I came up with this dish which I aptly called "Cheezy Sausage Macaroni" since the soup tasted a little bit cheezy maybe because of the sausage used. Anyways, here are the ingredients:
  • 100 g Macaroni shells (or whatever is available)
  • 1 pack (160mg) mushrooms
  • 50 g Brocolli (this one is also a leftover from my previous cooking)
  • 1/2 cup full cream milk (I substituted this one since I don't have all-purpose cream)
  • parmesan cheese
the soup contains the following:
  • sausages (sliced)
  • smoked ham (diced)
  • pineapple chunks
  • onions
* notice that I didn't put in salt and pepper since the soup base already has flavours.

How to do it:

For the macaroni
  1. Prepare the macaroni by heating up some water first. When it starts to boil, add a teaspoon of cooking oil and a dash of salt. Notice that I put in the oil and salt when the water starts to boil and not earlier. Puting the salt while starting to heat up the water will only slow down the heating process.
  2. Pour in the macaroni, stiring once in a while to prevent from sticking at the bottom of the pot. Check for the consistency of the macaroni. If biting on it is like biting a gum, then it is ready and done. Remove water.
For the sauce

  1. Since the soup has excess liquids, I simmer it up until I got the right amount of liquid for my sauce.
  2. Once I got the consistency, I added the mushrooms and the milk, stirring lightly so the sauce do not stick on the pan. Simmer for about a minute.
  3. Add the brocolli and let it simmer for another 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Do not overcook the brocolli.
  4. Set the macaroni in a plate and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

The taste would be somewhat creamy because of the sausage and the added milk. Also, brocolli gives out a creamy taste that will add flavour to the sauce. What I cooked is actually good for two but if you are like me, you could eat it all up. Some rye bread compliments this dish, if you don't have one, any unsweetened bread will do.

No comments: